top of page
the statue of liberty with the blurry american flag waving in the background. Democracy an


Green Cards

Establishing Permanent Residency

 A green card is an important document that identifies you as a permanent resident of the U.S who is not a U.S citizen yet. Holding a Green Card will allow you to live and work in the U.S as a lawful permanent resident. Obtaining a Green Card is the first step in becoming a naturalized citizen of the U.S. 


There are many ways to obtain a green card in the U.S.  Some examples are:

  • Family-based –  If you are related to a U.S citizen as a fiancée, immediate relative or other relationship. 

Immediate relatives are: 

  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen

  • Unmarried child under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen

  • Parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old


Family Preference Categories

Family Preference Categories are visa categories for non-immediate relatives that account for family members of U.S. citizens or those of permanent residents. Importantly, these categories differ from immediate relatives because each has a quota attached to it that limits the number of visas that can be issued every year.


There are four Family Preference Categories as follows:

  • First Preference: U.S. citizen’s sons or daughters older than 21 and their minor children. 

  • Second Preference: Lawful permanent resident’s spouse, minor children, unmarried sons and daughters older than 21.

  • Third Preference: U.S. citizen’s adult sons and daughters, their spouse, and their minor children.

  • Fourth Preference: U.S. citizen’s siblings as well as their sibling’s spouses and minor children, as long as the citizen is 21 or older. 

  • Employment-based

Your job may qualify you for a Green Card as an immigrant worker or an investor.


  • Asylum-based

If you were admitted or paroled as an  for at least one year you may apply for a Green Card.


Asylee or refugee

Every year, thousands of people find refuge from persecution within the United States’ borders. If you no longer feel safe in your home country because war or political upheaval is leading to the oppression of those who look, act, or think like you, finding asylum in the U.S. is possible.


Refugees come to the U.S. seeking safety because they fear persecution based on the following grounds:


  • Religion

  • Race

  • Political opinions

  • Membership in social groups

  • Nationality


If you have experienced persecution or you have reasonable fear of persecution because of the above-mentioned grounds, please contact De Maio Law. We have the necessary experience to help you improve your odds of finding security in the U.S.

green card
  • Victims of Human Trafficking and Crime Victims

If you have been a victim of human trafficking or have experienced abuse from a close relative who is a U.S citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a Green Card. 

  • Victim of Human trafficking - T visa

The T non-immigrant status is a temporary immigration benefit that enables certain victims of a severe form of trafficking in persons to remain in the U.S for an initial period of up to 4 years if they have complied with any reasonable request for assistance from law enforcement.


  • Victim of a Crime - U visa

U.S. immigration law allows non-citizens who have been victims of certain crimes and granted U non-immigrant status (U visa) to become lawful permanent residents (get a Green Card). To qualify for a Green Card as a crime victim, you must have U non-immigrant status and meet certain eligibility requirements.


  • Victim of Abuse (VAWA Self-Petition)

If you have experienced abuse from a close relative, you may be eligible for a green card.

Under the federal ), you may be eligible to become a lawful permanent resident if you are the  committed by (1) U.S citizen’s or permanent resident’s spouse, (2) U.S citizen’s or permanent resident’s parent, (3) U.S citizen’s child.


  • Special Immigrants

You may apply for a Green Card if you are a member of a religious denomination who will work for a U.S. nonprofit religious organization.

If you need assistance from an experienced attorney with your green card's application, please contact De Maio Law at (786) 200-7411 or send an email to to schedule a consultation.

bottom of page